A Guide to Magical Christmas Home Decor
As the holiday season approaches, it’s time to start thinking about holiday interior design so your home can be transformed into a winter wonderland. From twinkling lights to fragrant wreaths, decorating your home for the holidays is a tradition that brings families together. In this blog, we’ll explore some creative holiday interior design ideas to make your home the coziest and most inviting place to savor the season.
1) Set the tone for your holiday decor by giving your entryway a warm and welcoming makeover. Place a festive doormat at your door. I actually like to use a patterned rug under a fun textured mat. Next, hang a beautiful textural or colorful wreath, and then adorn your porch with lanterns. Our Coton House elves like to fill the lanterns with candles and then line the area with holly.
2) Christmas lights are a hallmark of the season. String lights along your porch, roof, and windows to create a warm and inviting glow. Inside, decorate your tree with a variety of lights. I prefer traditional white that twinkle, but colorful LED strands are lovely, too. You can even add fairy lights to your mantel, staircase or doorways to create a cozy atmosphere, too.
3) The centerpiece of your holiday Christmas decor is undoubtedly the Christmas tree. Of course, decorate it with ornaments and garlands, but be sure to use a variety of ornament sizes, have a topper and don’t forget the filler. Our Coton House design team likes to use multiple ribbons and bows, feathers, flowers and cornucopias to act as a background to fill up the space between the ornaments. To achieve a cohesive look, pick a color scheme. Of course, you can go with traditional red and green, elegant silver and gold, or a be a bit bold and use a more unique theme like bringing in oranges or pinks.
4) Although we never know what our Houston weather will bring, but still use textiles throughout your home to create an inviting atmosphere. Add plush throw blankets and decorative pillows in holiday colors.
5) Set the stage for a memorable Christmas dinner by creating a beautiful tablescape. Use a festive tablecloth, elegant dishes, and sparkling glassware. Create a centerpiece made of fresh flowers, candles, or a collection of holiday ornaments. For the centerpiece, be sure to add a variety of heights to add interest. Don’t forget to use cloth napkins and add place cards for a personalized touch.
6) Fresh evergreen garlands and wreaths bring a touch of the outdoors inside. Hang wreaths on mirrors, walls, and windows. Drape garlands along your staircase railing, mantel, and across doorways. You can even place small potted evergreen plants around your home for a natural and festive touch. Don’t forget to add in a bit of color that goes with your tree!
7) The sense of smell is tied to our memories, so create a cozy atmosphere with seasonal scents. I like scented candles, but essential oils or simmer pots are great, too. My favorite ingredients are cinnamon, cloves, evergreen and citrus. It infuses your home with the aroma of the holidays.
Transforming your home into a magical holiday wonderland is a joyful and heartwarming tradition for your family and friends. Whether you prefer a classic, traditional look or want to experiment with contemporary trends, our Coton House interior design team can help you achieve the look you want for all your holiday celebrations!